Masterpieces by Van Eyck
Worldwide only about twenty works by the Flemish master Jan van Eyck are known. At least half of them travelled to the MSK in 2020.
Masterpieces by Jan van Eyck
The eight restored exterior panels of ‘The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb’ – commonly knwon as The Ghent Altarpiece – plus the interior panels with Adam and Eve, were central to the exhibition. Not since 1902 parts of this masterpiece were displayed outside of St Bavo’s Cathedral. Moreover, they will never leave the cathedral after 2020. The exhibition was therefore the only and last chance to admire this highly exceptional loan in a wider context and up close. The other parts of the Mystic Lamb remained on display in St Bavo’s Cathedral in 2020.
Masterpieces from Van Eyck’s workshop
In addition to this impressive list of works by the master himself, the exhibition also showed nine works from Van Eyck’s studio. Some were made with close input by Van Eyck, others were made by studio staff during or shortly after his death. The list included the last Van Eyck that is still kept in a private collection, and the 12 apostles from the Albertina in Vienna. This was the first time that the latter series had been shown in its entirety outside of Austria.
These works by Jan van Eyck and workshop were on show in Ghent:
- Jan van Eyck and workshop, The Madonna at the Fountain, c. 1440 (Private Collection)
- Jan van Eyck and workshop, The Crucifixion, c. 1430 (Gemäldegalerie der Staatliche Museen zu Berlin – Preussischer Kulturbesitz, Berlin)
- Jan van Eyck and workshop, The Crucifixion, c. 1445 (Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Rotterdam)
- Jan van Eyck (workshop), The Three Marys at the Tomb, c. 1440 (Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Rotterdam)
- Jan van Eyck (workshop), St Jerome in his Study, c. 1442 (Detroit Institute of Art)
- Jan van Eyck (workshop), The Crucifixion, c. 1445 (Galleria Giorgio Franchetti alla Ca’ d’Oro, Venezia)
- Jan van Eyck (workshop), The Twelve Apostles, c. 1445 (Grafische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna)
- Jan van Eyck (workshop), Madonna and Child with St John the Baptist, c. 1440 (Musée du Louvre, Paris)
- Jan van Eyck (workshop), Portrait of a Man with a Chaperon, fifteenth century (Musée du Louvre, Département des Arts Graphiques, Paris)